Apple Pie Bread
For the Batter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons homemade apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded, peeled apple (about 4 medium or 2 large) (see note below)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries
For the Streusel Topping
1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon homemade apple pie spice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds. Add in sugars and mix until well combined. Add buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until thoroughly incorporated. In a medium bowl, combine flour, apple pie spice and salt, whisk until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Fold in apples, pecans and cranberries.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Prepare the Streusel Topping.
4. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and apple pie spice. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Spoon Streusel Topping over the batter, pressing them gently into the batter.
5. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.