Cheesy Cajun-Spiced Potato Pancakes
1 Bag hash brown style shredded potatoes (approx. 4 cups)
2/3 c. Medium cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ c. Sweet bulb onion (white part), shredded
¼ c. Sweet bulb onion (green part), finely diced
¼ c. Green bell pepper, finely diced
1 tsp. Garlic, minced
¼ c. cornstarch
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
½ tsp. Onion powder
½ tsp. Celery salt
Sour cream for topping
3/4 c. Canola oil for frying
Green Tabasco hot sauce for topping
1) Take shredded potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl. Pat them dry with a paper towel to make sure as much water as possible is removed.
2) Place the finely diced green bell pepper in a microwave-safe bowl with a couple tablespoons of water and microwave the bell pepper for 1 to 2 minutes. This softens the bell pepper so it will cook along with the potatoes.
3) Add all the ingredients listed except for the oil and sour cream in with the potatoes and mix them together well.
4) Form the mixture into pancake shapes
5) Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet or skillet safe for pan frying 360° degrees Fahrenheit (182° Celsius)
6) Fry potato pancakes 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels when done.
7) Serve topped with sour cream and extra diced green onion as a garnish.
For an optional twist, add some of the Cajun seasoning to the sour cream, top the latkes with some green tabasco hot sauce, or even sprinkle a little extra shredded cheese to melt on top.
Cook Time: 10 minutes