1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup bread crumbs
6 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp finely chopped, seeded canned chipotles in adobo
1 tsp cumin
¾ tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp water
3/4 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp salt
Lime wedges (for serving)
1. In a large bowl, combine milk and bread crumbs.
2. Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
3. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp fat from skillet. Cook onion, garlic, chipotles, cumin, and oregano in skillet, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add water and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
4. Stir into bread crumb mixture. Add ground meats, egg, parsley, bacon, and salt. Mix well with your hands.
5. Preheat broiler.
6. Form scant tablespoons of meat mixture into balls and thread 3 balls 1/2 inch apart onto each skewer, arranging skewers on a lightly oiled broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat (do not turn) until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with lime wedges