Mac and Cheese Pizza
½ box of spiral or farfalle pasta
1 jar of cheese sauce (or homemade - see below)
1 pizza crust
1. Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt and bring it to a boil. Add the pasta, stirring occasionally. Follow the preparation directions on the box. Remove when al dente (they will finish cooking in the cheese)
2. Set aside the pasta. If using a pre-packaged cheese sauce, heat the cheese over low to medium heat in a small saucepan, adding whatever additional flavoring you’d like. Stir occasionally so as to prevent the cheese from burning or sticking to the pan.
3. If making your own cheese sauce, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-2 cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese (amount will vary depending on amount of pasta you’re cooking)
To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, then add the flour. Mix the butter and flour together until it turns a dark color. This is called a roux. Next, slowly stir in the milk, mixing with a whisk until all three ingredients are perfectly blended. Once everything is mixed, add the shredded cheddar cheese and whatever spices you like (paprika, ground mustard, hot sauce, etc), and mix until the cheese is completely melted.
4. Once the sauce is done, set some aside for the base of the pizza. Combine the cheese sauce and pasta until well mixed and the pasta is entirely covered in the cheese.
5. Spread a thin layer of the cheese sauce on the pizza crust, then top with the macaroni and cheese. If this is too much cheddar for you, you can add a little bit of mozzarella as the base. Then add the macaroni and cheese.
6. Place in an oven that’s been pre-heated to 375 degrees and bake until the crust is crispy. This baking time should sufficiently finish cooking the pasta.
7. Remove from the oven when done and let cool.