Vegan Mushroom Soup with Rosemary
2 c chopped mushrooms ( Do not use button mushrooms – they have no taste)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 large potato, chopped into cubes
1 can of coconut milk
3 10 cm long sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp dry sage
1 bay leaf
1 dash of nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook the onions until they start to brown.
2. Add the rosemary, salt, black pepper, and chopped mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browned as well. Try not to crowd the mushrooms for maximum browning.
3. Transfer the mushroom/onion mixture into a pot. Add coconut milk and enough water to cover.
4. Add the chopped potato, cook for 5 minutes.
5. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer on very low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until thickened. The potato will release some starch and help thicken the soup a little bit.
6. Add the nutmeg, turn off the heat, and cover. Let the soup sit and develop flavors for 30 minutes or longer.