Vegan Pot Pie
Double Recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust note*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
1 large russet potato, chopped into small pieces
8 ounces vegan “chicken” or baked tofu, cut into pieces, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Make the pie crusts according to this recipe, or use store bought vegan pie crusts.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes, until soft.
Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth and almond milk. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the frozen vegetables, potato, vegan “chicken” or tofu and salt. Cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender.
Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish. Cover with a pie crust and press the edges to seal. Cut some slits on top of the crust for steam to escape.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden.
Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
• Chill vegan butter and shortening for 30 minutes.
• In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt. Add cold butter and shortening. Process until coarse.
• With the processor running, add 3-4 tablespoons ice water until dough clumps.
• On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12 inch circle and transfer to a pie plate. Press it gently and trim the edges.
• Use immediately or refrigerate until needed. Double for 2 crusts.
Nutrition information is for 1/8th of the pot pie with homemade crust.